Skype pops up the last chat window every single time it opens. Why? I don’t know. And I for myself can’t see any benifit at all in this behaviour. I’m rather annoyed by it, because every time I open Skype I have to get rid of that pop-up window. Guess what, there is a reason in this world, why browsers have the option to turn-off pop-up windows. Exactely, because people don’t like the idea, that things pop-up, that were not triggered by them. If I want something to open, I open it, but who asked me, if I wanted to see that stupid last msg I send to someone 2 days ago?
Let’s get rid of this!
Since Skype offers no setting for this (again, why is that???) we have to dig a little deeper. But be assured the fix is very easy, just follow the steps:
- Go to $HOME/Library/Application Support/Skype/Username/ChatWindows.plist
- Open that file with any text or html editor
- Replace everything in the text editor with the following code:
- <?xml version=“1.0″ encoding=“UTF-8″?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC „-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN“ „http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd“>
- Save & Close the editor
- Right click ChatWindows.plist and open „Information“
- change the user read/write-settings from „read + write“ to „read“ only
That’s it. 🙂
Kudos to http://twitter.com/Mentoron for the fix!